Friday, April 30, 2010

"Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 4

Day 5

A few weeks later we began the series of Bradley Classes. Robin and Bill were such great instructors, of course it did help that they too were Christians (which was for us a very big deal). Our class was filled with three couples (we were one of the couples), the other two were also Christians. The first couple was pregnant with their first child, they were such a joy to get to know, the second was pregnant with their second child (also a childhood friend of mine).

When the class began Robin and Bill asked the second couple to share their birth story (for their first child); I was intrigued by the words Home Birth. Truthfully, I had never even heard of one before; although if I really sit back and think about it didn't Hannah have one and the others before her? anyway... (You would have thought that with my research of Bradley classes, something would have stuck in my mind about Home Birthing... so I will just blame the pregnancy... it took some brain cells).

That night while driving home from the class we discussed this Home Birth option. At first we were completely for a Hospital birth, after all we had already gone through enough so why take the chance for a home birth? But after more and more research about home birthing and hearing actual people we knew and trusted talk about the experience we knew we had to take the plunge.

Thus, began our search for a Mid Wife. Living in a very small town, the search for a Mid Wife who was willing to travel to our town was like finding a needle in a hay stack. I literally called about 50 Mid Wives, one of which told me that she did not suggest a Mid Wife as they never make it to the births in time and usually find the mother and child in a pool of blood or dead. I thanked her for her time and went about my search. Of course I could have used the Mid Wife that the second couple was using but we were told that she was not taking any new clients at that time. Then just before I picked up the phone to dial #51 it rang... on the other end was an Angle! Her name... Pam Qualls.

Tomorrows Post "Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment