Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 9

I wasn't on the phone when my husband called his family, as I decided to have a nap after returning home that afternoon; but from what I could gather the idea of a home birth was not something they were thrilled about. My in laws have always been (and still are) firm believers in doctors and only doing what the doctor tells you. You could tell that they were very nervous about our decision; however, they never verbally said that they were not in support of our decision but still you could sure hear the apprehension in their voice when ever we talked to them.


We continued on with our appointments with Pam each time learning more and more and add that on to all we were learning at Bradley Class, you'd think we had become Pros and we still had not given birth yet.



The days went by and another appointment was coming due. Mark was unable to get the day off from work and so I went out on a limb and asked my parents to take the drive with me. I thought it would be a perfect chance for them to ask their questions and hopefully have some peace about what was about to happen.



We arrived at the appointment and were greeted with a hug from both Karen and Pam (that's just the kind of wonderful people they are.) I headed to the bathroom to do my urine test and to weigh myself; when I returned the parents were in the midst of asking their questions. I looked at my Dad's face and noticed that the look of uneasiness that seemed to follow him whenever we talked about our upcoming Home Birth was slowly fading away. On the trip back home they both sat in the car and finally my dad said what I was hoping would be said "I have learned more in one afternoon about pregnancy then I have in my entire life." followed quickly with my Mom saying "and I have given birth to two kids, I never knew some of this stuff. In fact some of my lingering questions that I have always wondered about have finally been answered."



So the goal of wining them to my side... I can officially say has been achieved. I think Hannah would have been pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment