Monday, May 10, 2010

"Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 8

On our trip back home we talked about the day. For months we had been seeing doctors, always walking away feeling as if we were lost and unknowing of what was taking place with our pregnancy, but in one morning with Pam we felt as if we were finally in the know. We were finally confident enough to make the big announcement... Telling the parents that we were going to have an unmediated home birth.

They had already known we were taking part in the Bradley classes but they figured it was because we wanted to be more informed about our pregnancy, that we were not thrilled about the Lamaze classes being offered for one day at the local hospital. But truthfully, we think they never saw this coming.

That Sunday we took my parents out for lunch at Oysters; a local Mexican restaurant. We began telling them how our classes were going and how excited we were to be learning so much. Truthfully, I believe that even my mom was amazed at what was happening with a pregnant woman, and she even gave birth to two children. Then finally I just said it "we have decided on a home birth." My mom's face went from a normal color full of life to a death white and my dad just sat blinking trying to process what he had just heard. I let it process for a few moments and then proceeded to tell them of what we had discovered. I also reminded them that home births have been happening since the beginning of time, and that we had every confidence in not only ourselves but also in our midwives. My mom decided to speak up asking Mark "are you sure you can do this? your not very good with high stress situations." Mark replied "Yes, I am confident that we can do this. We are learning everything there is to know about this and we have hired the best midwives there are. This is something that we have prayed about for a long while and believe we have made the best decision for not only us but for our son." I sat there looking at my husband and fell in love with him all over again, he was so confident in his words, and spoke with such conviction I was so proud of him.

We finished our lunch while answering all the questions they could come up with, when we parted ways that afternoon we could tell that they were not completely sold on the idea of a home birth but had resolved to allow us to do what we felt was best. Noticing their apprehension I made it my goal to win them over to our side.

We then went home to make the call to my husbands family, who lived in Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment