Friday, May 7, 2010

"Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 7

The answer to that question is of course.... NO!

But anyway back to where I left off.

Later that afternoon, we sat at our kitchen table and called Pam for our scheduled interview. We ran her through the grind with questions about her beliefs and about home birthing itself. She answered every question showing no sign of annoyance as I will have to admit we were a little (for lack of a better word at this moment) annal. The most important question was are you a Christian? to which she answered yes. To us it was a big deal to have a Christian midwife as we did not want to have a "new age" midwife (something that seems to be associated with allot of midwifes, however, once you do your research you find that is not always the case.)

We then proceeded to tell her of the days events at the doctors office. She too was confused, in her line of work she had never had someone have their blood type change on her, so she decided to order another blood test. I went down the following day to the nearest Lab Corp and did as was ordered. The next day we received a phone call from Pam "the test results are in, your blood type is O negative. You really need to come to my office at once as we need to administer the RhoGAM shot." We made an appointment and then proceeded to inform our employers that we had to take the day off as we had an emergency appointment with our midwife in Phoenix the following morning... thank GOD for wonderful employers!

The next day we headed off to Phoenix (2 hour drive from our town) and finally met in person our midwife, Pam. She was everything I had pictured when talking with her, young but not too young, short (like me) and full of personality. We talked for what seemed like hours going over all the doctors reports (we had brought my entire medical record) and trying to make sense of what they were trying to say. Finally, she looked up at me and shook her head in disbelief. Understanding my wishes to not have vaginal checkups unless it was completely necessary (actually she too did not agree with every appointment having to have a vaginal checkup) she performed a regular check up. After the checkup she said "I know you are not looking forward to this shot however, it is best for the baby and for you." I knew this, however, knowing it was not the same as being OK with it. After my first experience with the shot, I was not looking forward to having to get another one (and possibly another one if the baby had positive blood type.) She gave me a few minutes and allowed me to prepare for the shot, then gently using the love of a mother administered the shot. It was not as painful as the first, however, it still was very traumatic for me, she understood that and after the shot was done waited for me to turn around and she then swooped me into her arms giving me a hug that seemed to make all the trauma melt away. And for the first time since we found out we were pregnant, I finally felt...pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment