Monday, May 21, 2012

"Natural Childbirth... Love the Stuff" Part 11

"Honey, I think you should come home now"

"I don't get off for another hour, is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is okay... except my water broke so I think you should come home now"

"I'm on my way"

While sitting on the throne I first called Pam and informed her that my water had broke and that she should be on her way (keep in mind that she lived in Phoenix and would have a bit of a drive to make it to Kingman). I then called Karen and they both loaded up their vehicles and headed our way.

After calling the midwives I called my parents to let them know that I was in labor and not to worry the midwives were on their way and Mark was due home any moment. I told them not to worry, and we would call as soon as he was born.  I then called my in laws and told them as well.

5:30PM - Mark arrived home, gave me a kiss and helped me figure out what it was my body wanted me to do. Evey time I stood up I felt like I had to go to the bathroom but every time I sat down nothing happened and I had the urge to stand and walk around. I remember him asking me if he should go ahead and set up the birthing tub but I told him it was not necessary just yet as you know a first pregnancy can take hours and I did not want the water to go cold.

6:10PM - I decided to try and rest, I felt very tired... after all I had just finished scrubbing (by hand) the carpets; thinking back on it I really should have just taken a long nap after church that day.  While laying on the bed my contractions started, strong but manageable. Mark did a wonderful job coaching me reminding me to breath (I wonder, who was helping Hannah remember to breath?).
While laying there trying to relax after having a contraction I looked at him and saw the struggle on his face to keep it all together, he was feeling so sick, if it was any other day I am sure he would have just crawled into bed and slept, but he put himself aside and stayed focused on me...

Phone rang - my parents wondering if Mark had made it home yet and
if the midwives were there yet.

6:15PM - Double contractions started and never stopped. Laying on the bed because trying to stand up only made me seem to have the contractions quicker than laying down. Mark needed to be getting the birthing tub ready but every time I told him it was okay to leave and set it up I turned around and yelled for him to help. At this point nothing he was doing or saying was helping, but somehow just having him in the room holding my hand was very comforting.

Phone rang - my parents wondering if the midwives were there yet.

9:30PM - Karen arrived. By this time the birthing tub was not ready and frankly is now completely out of the picture as I went from first stages to full blown active labor in a matter of moments. Karen walked in to our room to find me on all fours trying to bring relief to the pressure I was feeling on my lower back. She began getting to work... a warm wash cloth was placed on my lower back. Can we say "ahhhhh" wow was that wonderful, it was for a brief moment like calgon had really taken me away. I can actually still feel the relief that a simple warm wash cloth brought. I wonder... did Hannah have anyone doing that kind of thing for her when she was in labor?

Phone rang - my parents.

10:45PM - Pam arrived just in time for me to start pushing.

Phone rang - Parents again
Hannah was lucky... no phones

No comments:

Post a Comment